Sunday 21 June 2009

Arrival.



Dear Louise,


I picked this card for 2 reasons: firstly, it reminded me of the day in Dysart when you took such beautiful pictures and I just sat and thought. Secondly, I thought it would be nice to have a little piece of home stuck on your wall or fridge to look at when you get homesick. I remember when I craved home and how comforted I felt when I looked at pictures. I hope this card brings you the same comfort when you need it.

I am going to miss you so much. You have been so instrumental in welcoming me to Scotland, Edinburgh and into the Blackwood family. Christmas time won’t be the same without you. I am SO proud of you for taking this chance and you can trust me; it will change your life forever. Here I impart 3 pieces of advice:


  1. Don’t give the time of day to random boys – S. Korean or otherwise. Always listen to your gut.
  2. Try everything and accept every invitation (except when it contravenes with piece of advice no. 1)
  3. Enjoy every day – savour the sweet moments and learn from the shite ones.


Call/email/write anytime. Big hugs and kisses. Your (very near) future sister-in-law,


Kaki xoxo


Just below, my brother had scrawled a picture of a cat saying “Rawr” along with the following:


Be safe and make the most of it, because when you get back you will have to get a real job! Love Dave.


I laughed a little into my fourth glass of orange juice. The Glaswegian sitting beside me snorted in his sleep.


Says it all really.


I closed the shutter against the cloud-sprinkled Himalayas, and went back to sleep.



1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful storyteller. I can't believe Kaki told you not to give the time of day to random boys. Pretty sure she found a husband by doing the opposite, eh?

    ReplyDelete